Monday, January 31, 2011

Empty hands, tools of opportunity, and straight up weapons

I train in self-defense.  I am confident my skills will keep me safe.  That said, if I have the opportunity to utilize a tool that can enhance my chances, why shouldn't I use it?

We all heard the maxim "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight", but the same holds for any kind of fight.  Chances are that you were attacked, that you are taken by surprise, and that you are outnumbered and under-equipped compared to your opponent, right?  So why not have something that can increase your chances of winning that fight?

Last week we hosted a seminar with Guy Rafaeli, a knife and stick fighting instructor from Israel.  A forth degree in Silat and Kali, Guy taught many skills that one can perform with a stick.  An eye opener for many of us.

I always carried knives on me.  I even carry a gun on me most of the time.  But you know Murphy, he doesn't play fair, and chances are that when I will need my tools they will not be anywhere around to be found.  Fortunately, our work environment and the urban setting in which we live in lends itself to many tools of opportunity, from pipes, to bottles, and other sharp and blunt objects.

So, as I said, I am confident in my skills and abilities empty handed, and most of the time I carry a secondary self-protection device, but if and when I need one, I am sure to be able to utilize sticks and knives to protect myself.

Starting March 2011 Masada Tactical will offer designated classes in knife and stick fighting.  These are not Kali/Escrima/Silat classes, but rather practical application of using those tools and in-line with the Israeli Combat System mindset.

Join us!

Tzviel 'BK' Blankchtein
Masada Tactical, LLC
http://www.masadatactical.com/

1 comment:

  1. I think adding the stick and knife classes will be a great addition to an already fantastic system!

    ReplyDelete