Thursday, January 6, 2011

What Do I know?!?

I am not that creative, I took this heading from a forum discussing handgun schools and instruction, but I wanted to relate it to what we do at Masada Tactical.

So what do I know?  And more importantly, is what I know of any value to our members?  Is it relevant?  Is it current?  Is it applicable to the needs of my students?

I truly think that one of the most special aspects of what we do at Masada Tactical is that we are ever evolving.  Sometimes to a fault and to our members' dismay, our skills change.  A technique that we taught a year ago may be replaced by another today.  And no, it's not that we are undecided, but rather than we improve, we grow, and we continuously research and develop new skills to meet the needs of our members and other clientele.

We began with a good foundation.  We borrowed heavily from Skornik Israeli Combat, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Krav Maga, and other arts.  But right from the start we made it our goal to keep evolving and modifying skills so our members receive the very best.

It got to a point that skills developed by us at our schools are now taught and introduced to other systems and curriculum worldwide.

Our evolution is not random either.  It is the result of our unique position as lead instructors with various law-enforcement and military units that allows us to get continuous feedback as to how our skills fare out on the street.  It allows us to take skills that are not quite perfect and re-design them so the flaws are adjusted. If our initial system was a beta version, we are now on the 10.2 version of the new and improved ICS curriculum.

I challenge anyone out there to show me a better technique for any specific situation than what we use. 

So what do I know? I know we work relentlessly to assure our members have the best tools possible.  I know we test every technique to assure everyone and anyone can execute it.  I know that time and time again we are told that what we teach saves lives.  I know we will keep improving and strive for perfection as long as we are around.

Tzviel 'BK' Blankchtein
Masada Tactical, LLC
http://www.masadatactical.com/

3 comments:

  1. I take comfort that things arent strength dependant and that you make sure us "small" people can do it too before it becomes an official technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the main reason why I train with you guys, because you continually evolve, and not stucked in one system or in the traditional way.

    As to techniques, I belive in simplicity, economy of movements and directness. This is what counts in real fight.

    I'm quite a small person too. But I believe that techniques in order to be effective requires certain level of fitness, i.e...you must have speed and accuracy in order to hit, power to inflict pain or injury to stop the threat, and coordination to have both.

    But true, there are techniques that could be too strength-dependent and won't work for a smaller person in relation to his/her counterpart. I believe in what Bruce Lee said," Absorve what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." See you all in class!:)

    ReplyDelete