Monday, November 15, 2010

MMA: Is it good for self-defense?

Probably one of the most argued topic out there today.  I know I personally had this discussion with many members, prospects, and even more so with police officers.  Let me state this right off the bat, I think MMA is a great sport, provides its practitioners with great skills, conditioning, and fun.  However, it lacks one major component: THE REAL WORLD.

This is the main issue, MMA is designed to be a sport.  It is designed to be fought in a ring, under rules, for a set length of time, and in a one-on-one combat.  Now, how often does that happen in real life?

Put any MMA in a fight on concrete, against multiple opponents, where groin strikes eye gauges and biting are allowed, and just for the fun of it throw a knife into the mix as well.  How do you think this MMA fighter will fare?

I will give you this, he'll probably do better than untrained individual, but when fighting any "bad-elements" out there who grew up learning to fight in the school of hard knocks, and he's chances of winning are slim.  Simply said, there is a disconnect between MMA and reality based fighting.

I like sharing this story: when I first went to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu my first request from the instructor, a very well known BJJ fighter, was to fight in the parking lot, in the elements.  I was met with a proplexed look and a long explanation on why it is unsafe.  I know it is unsafe. If I wanted safe I would have done Tai-Chi.  I form one, want to learn how to defend myself in the most real and disadvantageous of all situations.  I want to learn not only how to fight, but how to win, and how to do it under real aggravated situations.

What do you think?

BK / Masada Tactical
www.MasadaTactical.com

No comments:

Post a Comment