Tuesday, June 28, 2011

End of an Era

It is official, I handed in my resignation at the MD Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC), and effective July 27, 2011 I will no longer be the Lead DT/PT Instructor for the commission.

It has been a good ride.  Over the past three years I taught 4 recruit classes, countless officers during in-service training, and 7 instructor courses, certifying close to 100 Defensive Tactics Instructors in Israeli Combat System.

There have been ups and downs, like there would be anywhere else, but at the end of the day I am proud to have had the opportunity to share skills and lessons to enhance officer safety in Maryland, from correctional officers to patrol police and specialized teams.

It has been a long and hard process to take mindsets that have been so ingrained in tradition and try and affect those by introducing new, sometimes extreme ideas.  Not always were my ideas accepted.  More than once I have been put on notice by the administration for being too hard, but ultimately everyone understood that my actions were always done in good faith and with the goal of keeping officers safe, and as such I was allowed some leeway in the way I taught, the skills I shared, and the drills I executed.

Over the past three years I have also been fortunate to see Masada Tactical grow from a small facility in Pikesville to four times its size.  Masada Tactical started with a few weekly classes to now having classes every single day, not to mention our classes offered in other states such as Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, and more.

The journey has not been without sacrifices, obstacles and hardship.  But like any growth, the goal is always to overcome those and come out the other end better and stronger.  We always aimed to excel at what we do, and I believe we made tremendous strides in making Masada Tactical and Israeli Combat System a household name and the provider of choice for any individual or organization who wants the best self protection and tactical training.

So as I say goodbye at the MD Police and Correctional Training Commission I do so with pride for the lessons I shared, and the lessons I learned, and with the joy and anticipation of taking Masada Tactical to even greater things.

I would like to thank the people at the commission who stood by me when things got somewhat rough, and my friends at Masada Tactical who never gave up hope and encouraged me over the past few years.

We are on the virtue of a brand new future, brighter than ever, and it is all thanks to you.

I would like to leave this somewhat of a personal blog post with a statement that has been hanging in my office at the commission for the past three years.  It has motivated me, helped me, and guided me on numerous times (origin unknown):

What do I fear?
I fear stagnation and lack of progress.
I fear never reaching my potential and being average.
I fear being forgotten...the past...yesterday's news.
I fear giving up and being passed by, going softly into that good night.
I fear letting those I love down, letting myself down.
I fear settling, giving in to the "that's just the way it is" mindset.
I fear dying without leaving my mark.
I fear not feeling these fears anymore and just floating along.
These fears feed me, they nourish my drive.
I love my fear.

Stay safe, stay strong, and keep on working on those things that matter.

Tzviel 'BK' Blankchtein
www.MasadaTactical.com

No comments:

Post a Comment