Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The difference between Grappling and Ground Fighting

Last week I was approached by a member following one of our Ground Fighting classes and I was asked what is Grappling.  After all, I continuously make the distinction between grappling and ground fighting for self-defense applications.  I must give this member due props for coming and asking.  Often times, as instructors, we forget that some people are not as experienced and what we take for granted as terminology may not be so clear to our students.

Coincidentally enough, yesterday another student of mine told me about a challenge he got from a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner to whom he was trying to explain our methodology of ground fighting.

So let me answer these questions.  But before I start, I just want to make one thing clear, by no means do I intend to put down any grappling art.  I think they are all beautiful and serve a purpose.  I myself used to train in BJJ with John Rallo, and loved every minute of it.  If any of what I say sounds as though I am suggesting otherwise please re-read it.



As a BJJ practitioner I learned various skills that helped me overcome an opponent and achieve the submission I was looking for.  But there is where the issue lays.  Submissions are great in a controlled sport fighting environment, but what happens on the street?  What happens once the opponent "taps out"?

Also, in a grappling match (of any style, from wrestling, to BJJ, Sambo, or other), the fight is between two individuals, in a ring (cage) or on a mat, and rules must be aided by.  All of these grappling arts benefit their practitioners greatly in terms of skills, awareness of their bodies, flexibility, and so much more. But do they really address the true circumstances of a fight?

The mindset is its main drawback.  It is unfortunate that when on the street, fighting for survival, a submission is not what we should be looking for.  An armbar will elicit a "tap-out" which will not necessarily end the fight.  Possibly worse, it may cause the defender to let go because of practice (muscle memory), and the fight is back on!  Add to that the fact that a true fight may include multiple attackers, weapons, and a very unforgiving ground/terrain, and one can see why traditional grappling arts fall a tad short.

What ICS teaches stems from the understanding that we are not fighting in a ring.  That rules do not apply, and we understand that most of our skills and tools will disqualify us in a sanctioned fight.  But again, survival is not sanctioned, and one must do what it takes to protect himself!

When we decided to create a ground fighting curriculum we established a few "ground rules" (no pun intended):
  1. Striking should always be a viable tool.
  2. Getting back to our feet is our main goal.
  3. Skills should be simple, gross motor skill oriented.
  4. Skills should provide solutions for common grappling attacks, so we can defend against grapplers who try to take the fight to the ground.
  5. Skills should be practiced on pavement.
  6. Play dirty!
When we developed the curriculum, now in its second rotation and still being modified, I sat down with Steve Almendarez and we went over skill after skill of his BJJ career (Steve is an advance BJJ fighter and has tremendous experience in grappling arts and matches).  We tried them in uniform, on hard surface, and fatigued to see if they still work outside of a sports environment.  What we came up with was a compress ground fighting curriculum that is in-line with ICS mentality of street survival and personal protection.



Our ground fighting curriculum will not help you win an MMA fight.  But if you are ever ambushed and taken to the ground, you will not only survive, but you will inflict so much damage that your opponent will be left in awe!

Our ground fighting classes are full contact.  we strike, we kick, we work from positions of disadvantage.  We fight as if our lives depended on it, because it may.

So next time you hear me say, this is not a grappling match, this is why.  If I can teach my students anything it is to fight outside the realm of traditional rules, and use whatever means necessary to win the fight.  And if a grappler ever places my students in an armbar, I completely expect my student to break that person's face!

Ground Fighting classes are every Wednesday at 6pm. Open to all levels.  Taught by Steve A. and BK!

Stay safe,

Tzviel 'BK' Blankchtein
Masada Tactical, LLC
http://www.masadatactical.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment