Thursday, December 26, 2013

Ups and Downs

So this blog post will be a tad more personal.

I had a very exciting day today.  I got to finally see the blue prints for the new Masada Tactical, and with that I got to start ordering many of the new items for the new space, including mats, towels, more fitness equipment, office supplies, and the list goes on.  It was energizing.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.


I am truly excited for this new venture.  I am stressing about it because I want to make sure it is just perfect.  But I am happy that I have the opportunity to do this.

Those who know me for a while know that the new Masada Tactical facility is pretty much what I always dreamed of.  There is nothing missing from this place...at least in my mind.  But as I am looking into a bright future, excited about the opportunities, I can't help but think back at the past six and a half years.

How we are still around in beyond me.  We opened Clinch and Masada in 2007, just as economy began its downward spiral.  As if that wan't enough, we faced many other obstacles, from professional to personal.  It seemed as though we were doomed from the get go.  And as much as I would like to say that it was nothing more than the fight in me that kept me going, I must admit that most of the credit goes to those who surrounded me those days and kept telling me it is all worth it.  Not sure I would have been able to make it alone.

For someone with zero management knowledge I must have done something right, because not only did we beat the statistics of most new business going under in the first three years, but we flourished and grew.  We had to relocate to accommodate the growing number of members and programs.  A "problem" we face now again as we once again grew to the point that in order to keep providing the quality of service we pride ourselves on, we must expend again.

Rocky said: "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.  How much you can take and keep moving forward.  That's how winning is done!".  And if you won't listen to Rocky, who will you listen to?!?


We got hit.  A lot.  Financially, emotionally, physically.  But we never stayed down.  We got up and kept moving forward.  And I am proud of our collective accomplishments, because Masada isn't about me.  It is a collection of people from all different backgrounds and goals, who managed to find a passion and a family within Masada and with each other, in order to build something great.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who helped, supported, and held that safety net when I needed it and continue to do so today.  I want to thank Vince and Ber for making it fun to go to work every day.  I want to thank Steve for keeping me straight and focused when I needed to.  I want to thank Darrell, Cy, Ben, Josh, Billy and all of the other instructors we had over the years.  I couldn't have done it alone.  I want to thank Zalman, Shelton and Angie for doing a fine job at the reception desk.  And I want to thank Phaygi for not only being a sounding board at work, but for putting up with me at home as well...not an easy task. 


 

Lastly, I want to thank our members.  At the end of the day this is all for you.  I am privileged and humbled that you want to learn from me and our staff.  Everything we do is to better our products and services so you never doubt your decision to trust your safety, health, fitness, and happiness in us.  We do what we do because of you.

I want to leave you with this quote.  Unfortunately I don't know where it originated, but I refer to it regularly to remind myself what I stand against:


"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone telling you that you are wrong. 
There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. 
To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage, dedication, perseverance, and the will to fight through knowing you are right.  
YOU WILL SUCCEED."

So come to the gym on Monday, and take a look at the blue prints for the new space.  Let us share with you the next chapter of our journey.  And we look forward to spending many more classes, happy hours, cups of coffee, and other occasions with you all.

Stay safe,
Tzviel 'BK' Blankchtein
Masada Tactical


No comments:

Post a Comment